Fiber Broadband Association
Women in Fiber Group
We believe the world is a better place when women’s voices are heard. We believe companies are more successful when women are allowed to reach their full potential. We believe it is up to us to help identify, develop and promote women in the Fiber Broadband industry as well as technology, telecommunications, construction and manufacturing. We pledge to use this forum to help women succeed in the Fiber Broadband industry.
To the FBA and the Industry
- Demonstrate the verifiable link between women in leadership and improved business performance. Identify our own potential leaders.
- Represent women in fields where women are not often well-represented.
- Highlight different career paths for women within fiber, telecommunications and technology.
- Identify challenges particular to women in the workforce in these industries and possible solutions.
To The Member Companies and Individual Members
- Networking: Provide opportunities for connections, networking, and building relationships with other women in fiber of all areas and experience.
- Professional Development & Leadership: Deliver professional development and leadership opportunities. Emphasize pathways for success and advancement.
- Workplace Education: Identify relevant everyday workplace issues for discussion and education. Learn to navigate challenges, varied situations, and problem solving. Find solutions.
- Recognition: Create opportunities to recognize different career paths held by women in fiber. Highlight those who demonstrate dedication and hard work within the field, the leadership of industry veterans, the talent and potential of developing leaders, and the stories that inspire us.
Women in Fiber Spotlight
Fiber Broadband Association’s Women In Fiber (WIF) Group is thrilled to announce its new initiative – Women in Fiber Member Spotlight. As our Women in Fiber Group celebrates its one year anniversary and FBA continues to focus on workforce and skills issues in our space, the WIF Steering Committee has launched a Spotlight series to highlight monthly different roles and careers for women in fiber, telecom, tech, and construction.
Do you know a female leader in the fiber broadband industry who deserves recognition? The Women in Fiber Steering Committee will select honorees monthly who will then be featured on the Women in Fiber LinkedIn page and our website. The next nominations form is due December 8th, 2020. Winners must be part of an FBA member company to be considered. We will announce future monthly deadlines for nominations on a rolling basis in Optics.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with completed nominations forms and with any questions.
Congratulations to FBA’s Women in Fiber Group’s November Woman in Fiber Spotlight, Megan O'Brien!
Nominated by two colleagues, Megan O’Brien is an Applications Engineer at Preformed Line Products. Matthew Becker from Preformed Line Products had this to say about Megan: “Traditionally, telecommunications and fiber related jobs were mostly driven by men. Even more so, technical jobs were even skewed more heavily towards men. Megan and other women are bucking this trend as she handles technical related issues and hands-on expertise of fiber related products. It can be a daunting task to enter a room of 25-50 fiber splicers (most of them men), and deliver an application of product in front of them to showcase how the product functions and tips and tricks associated with said product. I have seen it first hand in the field that Megan can hold her own in the industry as she has the patience, technical expertise and personality to handle any situation that arises.”
To read about our previous Woman in Fiber Spotlight winners, Click Here.
Women in Fiber Webinars
|September 22, 2020||FBA Women in Fiber Group Presents: Women and Competition in the Workplace||Watch the Recording|
|May 14, 2020||Work-Life Balance? It's a Pandemic!||Watch the recording|
|March 26, 2020||Accelerating Women in the Workplace: How to Develop a Women's Resource Group at Your Organization||Watch the Recording|
|December 12, 2019||Preventing the Burnout_ Addressing Obligations of the Work, Family, and Life||Watch the Recording|
|October 24, 2019||Sponsors are Critical to Your Career: Find out Why and How to Develop Them||Watch the Recording|
Meet our Steering Committee
In order from left to right. Click here to learn more.
Kim Hartwell, Corning
Tanya Kanczuzewski, Dura-Line
Mary Ellen Grom, AFL
Alexa Edens, KGPCo
Holly Ruser, Graybar